Abu Dhabi International Airport has geared up for a huge spike in passenger numbers during the summer season, through a series of facility developments and service upgrades.
A range of recently completed ground improvements and new offers at the capital city’s main air gateway will ensure a smooth and enjoyable passage through the airport’s main passenger terminals, according to Abu Dhabi Airports, as the number of travellers are set to soar to record levels. These developments include:
- 20 new boarding bus gates that are now fully open to passengers and flights at Terminal 3 increasing the airport flight capacity by 44% as the airport now has a total of 66 boarding gates.
- 6 new code E aircraft stands for wide-bodied aircraft have also been built in time for the summer rush. These new aircraft stands will increase the airport’s aircraft handling capability at any given hour throughout the day by 10%, with a total of 63 stands.
- In Terminal 3 – the building dedicated to home air carrier Etihad Airways flights – 16 new x-ray machines are now in place to speed up the security process for transfer passengers.
- An enhanced and expanded baggage transfer system has also been introduced for handling transfer luggage between connecting flights, which will be able to handle more luggage, more efficiently and faster than previously, through increasing the handling capacity by 40%.
Companies and agencies working at the airport have also ensured their preparedness to the anticipated summer season by increasing their manpower in various functions including ground services, check-in services, passport control and Police.
For those travellers looking for fast track check-in & immigration and an all-round VIP experience, the Golden Class, operated by NAS, offers a variety of “meet & assist” convenient services at Abu Dhabi International Airport. The service also includes a limousine offering, baggage porters, and delivery and storage. A special summer promotion is currently running until September 30th offering travellers up to 75% on fast track & parking packages for families up to 6 members.
The Abu Dhabi Duty Free summer season sale has now begun with a 50% discount on many items while stocks last. Shoppers can also take advantage of the new ‘buy on departure and collect on return’ shopping service. The service is available at Abu Dhabi International Airport Terminals 1 and 3 and includes all products available from the duty free. In the last few days a traditional Arabic souk has opened within Terminal 1 giving our passengers a small taste of Arabia and an opportunity to purchase some wonderful mementoes of the journey
In addition, a range of new retail shops and food and beverage outlets have been added across the airport for all passengers. Terminal 3 has opened two new duty free shops along the departure pier and in the bus gates to serve the growing passenger numbers on the look-out for last minute purchases and a brand new 161SQM WHSmith has also been added with the latest selections of books, magazines, confectionary and travel essentials, along with a second outlet in the new Arrivals Hall. New food and beverage international brands, such as Flat White, Grab & Fly and Urban Food Market are also now available for departing passengers. The enhancement and fit out of T3 and the additional outlets were completed as part of Abu Dhabi Airport’s on-going initiatives to ensure the delivery of a world-class experience to passengers. Travellers looking for a bit of rest while in transit can experience the GoSleep sleeping pods. The pods are currently available in Terminal 3, next to gate 35, with further units to be installed shortly.
The Arrivals Hall has simultaneously undergone a planned upgrade to offer:
- The first “illy Espressamente” in Abu Dhabi where passengers can enjoy the ‘soul of Italian coffee’ with modern baristas making the perfect brew to enjoy after arrival.
- Abu Dhabi Duty Free’s Big Ticket Millionaire, the long-running and extremely popular prize draw hosted at Abu Dhabi International Airport, has launched from a new location at the airport where anyone can benefit from the chance of winning the monthly grand prize.
- For visitors spending a few nights in the capital city, Abu Dhabi Airports has invited various new hotels to establish a presence at the airport ensuring there is a wide range of accommodation choices available, as well as a dedicated Tourism and Culture Authority Desk for those looking to explore the culturally rich capital.