Islamic State claimed responsibility on Monday for the New Year’s Eve attack at Reina nightclub in Istanbul, Turkey.

A gunman who remains at large killed at least 39 people and injured several people including tourists as well as Turks. 

Police have released the first footage of the Reina attacker. According to initial police reports announced at Hurriyet Daily News, the gunman may be from Uzbekistan or Kyrgyzstan. Another report in daily Habertürk claims that the attacker may be from Xinjiang in eastern China.

The first footage of the attack was recorded at 01:20 a.m., when the attacker is seen walking and shooting towards Reina, causing one person to fall to the ground. He is then seen shooting the guards, who were unarmed due to restrictions on them carrying weapons. The second footage was recorded at 01:23 a.m. inside Reina, apparently after the attack, when nobody can be seen standing.

It is still unclear how many minutes the attacker spent inside the club before fleeing. He went upstairs after entering Reina and started firing on revelers, before going downstairs to continue shooting. According to witnesses, he also shot people lying on the ground in their head. 

He then went to the kitchen of Reina and stayed there for around 13 minutes before changing his clothes, taking off his coat, and escaping from the scene amid panic. He also cleaned his weapon before leaving the scene. 
He then got in a cab and got out in nearby Kuruçeşme after telling the driver he had no money to pay.

Investigators found a total of 500 Turkish Liras in the pocket of the coat that he left in Reina, and police are investigating whether he was wearing two coats when he entered the club.

The identities of 38 victims killed in the attack have been confirmed as 25 foreign nationals and 11 Turkish nationals. The foreign victims were identified as seven Saudi Arabian nationals, three Lebanese, two Tunisians, two Indians, two Moroccans, two Jordanians, two Iraqis, one Kuwaiti, one Canadian, one Israeli, one Syrian and one Russian. 

Twenty-five of the victims were men and 14 were women. 

One victim was identified as a Turkish-Belgian dual national. Meanwhile, works to identify the remaining victim have been ongoing.
Source: Hurriyet, Haberturk